Here is my all time favourite recipe. This recipe is the result of my footering in the kitchen over the years trying various recipes and tinkering about till I came up with a failsafe formula. It takes less than five mins to prepare this and not much longer to cook.
- 8oz plain flour
- 8oz unsalted butter
- 4.5 oz icing sugar (I believe the american for this is confectioners sugar - anyhow it's the real fine stuff, like sugar dust)
- 4.5oz really fine rice flour
What to do:
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Pour it out into one large baking tray or two small ones - I have two 8"x 11" trays that I use for this. You want a tray that has sides but not too deep.
- Give your tray a shake to make sure you have a fairly even layer of crumbs all over. Do not be tempted to use a wooden spoon or any thing else to smooth out the shortbread.
- Bake at about 170 degrees centigrade/325 farenheit/gas mark 3 until the shortbread is a light brown colour. Mark/cut into squares while it is still warm but leave it in the tin to cool.
Alternatively, for shortbread circles like I made below, punch out a couple of dozen circles of waxproof paper/baking paper and line the bottom of muffin tins with them - put a spoonful of mixture in each hollow and shake the tray to even it all out.
Thank you so much Claire and they really do look mouthwatering!! :D
On another note look what i managed to pick up in Accessorize the other day! £1.75/£2.00 a pack and there are masses on each sheet - i adore the little birds!!
We have blog hops coming up this weekend from Bo Bunny AND Banana Frog - remember to check their blogs to know where to start off the hops and comment on the posts for a chance to win some goodies :D :D