Tuesday 7 June 2011

From charity shop to cake stand...

I love a bargain and have wanted to have a go at making my own cake stands for a while. No im not pretending to have invented the wheel and know they have been around for ages - every shop seems to have 'reused' cups and saucers as cakestands etc. I just wanted to show you a quick way of making a cheap charity shop find into something a little bit more pretty :)

Take a pair of candlesticks - any colour - so dont be freaked out that they are pepto bismol pink or sewer green. (I bought mine from a local charity shop for £1.99 for the pair! Mine were an awful mix of blue and white pattern - typical i forgot to take a pic before i sprayed them!)Take them outside and sit them on plenty of newspaper before spray painting them with Rustoleum - I used gloss white, the array of colours these sprays come in are enough to set you off on a spraying frenzy!! lol Leave to dry completely before applying a second coat.
Using a very strong adhesive to attach a plate to the top of one of the stands - use Pinflair glue, this one seems to be highly recommended! You dont want it collapsing when you remove cakes from one side!
You could always use a dinner and a tea plate to make a 2 tier cakestand.
Or just keep them seperate for 2 different size cakestands - one for a victoria sponge and the other for little matching cupcakes!
Of course you could go simply for the all classic white - the whole point is when youre making it yourself you have free reign to either go all out and design something thats a complete one off....or something classic that you can use again and again.
Please link back to me if you give this a go - i would love to see what you make! :)

3 comments:

  1. You are clever Debbie.They are just great.
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look so pretty .. i have wanted to make my own to but couldnt get my head around drilling through plates!!..i think this seems a much simpler way of doing it..
    i'll give it a go and let you know how i get on!!

    i love the all white one of yours it looks like it should be at a wedding!

    charl
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to make these for ages but couldn't seem to find which type of glue would be best..thanks for the hint on pinflair i will have to google it.

    PS: They look great....i have my plates and my bases have just never "glued" them together!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi
Many thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. It is much appreciated :) If you would prefer to email me direct please contact me on debbie@aeroprinting.co.uk
Many thanks
Debbie
x