Here is the third and final recipe for Fairtrade fortnight - have you used any of the Foncho bananas within your baking during the last two weeks? I would love for you to link to them in this post!
Today we have....
JAMES MARTIN’S MERINGUE, LEMON CURD AND PASSION FRUIT TORTE
Credit: Fairtrade Fortnight runs from 24 February – 9 March – www.stickwithfoncho.org.uk.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
For the meringue:
• 8 egg whites
• 375g Fairtrade caster sugar
For the lemon curd:
• grated zest and juice of 4 Fairtrade lemons
• 100g butter
• 4 whole eggs, lightly beaten
• 400ml double cream
• 8 passion fruit
• 2–3 tbsp Fairtrade icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 100°C/200°F/ Gas mark 1/4.
2. Draw 3 x 25cm diameter circles on sheets of baking parchment and place them on baking sheets.
3. For the meringue: Put the egg whites in a grease-free bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add 200g caster sugar and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form. Put a little blob of meringue under the edges of the baking parchment to secure it. Spoon some meringue onto each circle and spread it out to make a disc, flattening lightly with the back of the spoon. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the oven off, leaving the meringues inside for 2 hours, or preferably overnight. When crisp, remove from the oven.
4. For the lemon curd: Put the lemon zest and juice in a heatproof bowl, then add the butter and remaining caster sugar, stir well, and set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk until totally dissolved, then beat in the whole eggs and whisk until thickened and cooked through. Remove from the heat and cool over a bowl of ice, whisking occasionally until completely cold.
5. Whip the double cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form, then gently fold in the lemon curd. Scoop out the seeds of 6 of the passion fruit and fold lightly into the cream.
6. To assemble, place a meringue disc on a serving plate, then top with half the lemon curd cream. Place a second disc on top and spread over the rest of the cream. Place the last disc on top and press very lightly to settle, then scoop out the seeds from the remaining passion fruit and spoon over the top. Dust with a little icing sugar and cut into wedges to serve.
I am planning on making this for our Easter egg hunt and picnic! So excited to see how it turns out!