Sunday 26 September 2010

Foodbuzz Round 2 - Jamaican Coconut Prawn Curry with Sweet Potato Fries

Thank you to everyone who voted for me in round 1 of the Foodbuzz Food Blogger Competition! I made it through to round 2!! :D

The title of this round is The Classics: How well can you tackle a classic dish from another culture? We're bypassing the French and Italian standards in favor of more challenging cuisines.

Since we are a good old fashioned comfort food loving family I knew this one was going to appeal on many levels, I get to try something I dont normally do and the boys get to see ingredients that ive never used before, we even bought a chilli plant (with ready to use chillies!!) to grow on the windowsill!We all really enjoyed the taste and appeal of trying something other than the 'normal' quick fix sauces from a jar! Heck if we ever have curry a Korma is about as wild as we get- we dont do spicy!

Another first for me....I have never de-headed prawns before andit was an experience lets put it that way, not one I would rule out doing again. They had so much more flavour bought straight from a fishmongers than in a prepacked carton from a supermarket! We left the tails on and it was great to see the kids not only enjoying the food but holding the prawns in their hands to get the last little bits from the tails. Theres something comforting and rustic about being able to eat with your hands - yes, even if it is a curry!Voting starts tomorrow for round 2 so I am including step by step pictures and receipe in tomorrows post of how this meal was made as week 38 of our 52 week challenge :)

Please let me know if you take part and remember to share pictures too - enjoy xxx

15 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmm Bev that looks scrumptious Korma from a jar here too we don't do spicey either think i may have to try this one just love prawns me Dad used to bring them in fresh from the quayside don't think i could hoy them in a pan live like he used too
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops Appologies Debbie wasn't until after i posted i realised i'd put the wrong name in
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as its not nasty I answer to most things hun dont worry! lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks gorgeous Debbie, you have my vote as a committed chilli addict. Could be addicted to worse things I suppose, lol!

    Colette x.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm really amazed at the variety of classics there are for this challenge. yours is definitely unique and it looks delicious! grats for making it to round 2 and i hope we all make it to the third. best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! I love prawn curry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great and you have my vote!

    Ed @ http://weekendfoodprojects.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! Happy to find your blog through PFB...you got my vote...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks delicious :) Good luck with project food and you got my vote for this one! Feel free to drop by :) Good luck and best wishes for making to the top !! WOOHOO

    jen @ www.passion4food.ca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes yes yes and yes. There's nothing else to say but that. So much flavor here! And great use of spices. Really love it. Voting for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks absolutely delicious, you've got my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't seem to be able to include my blog info with your email form. I voted for you and would be honored if you'd visit my blog and check out my PFB #2 entry: http://www.cookingintuitively.com/2010/09/nettle-pudding/

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dish looks great! You've got my vote for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Hi
Many thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. It is much appreciated :) If you would prefer to email me direct please contact me on debbie@aeroprinting.co.uk
Many thanks
Debbie
x